Friday, September 13, 2019

Induction Reflection

We have just completed our first Skype induction meeting, and Adesola led us through a review of using UniHub as our go-to resource for handbooks, links, and all things MAPP.

To learn something new, you have to realize that you don't know something, and you have to grasp that.

As a newcomer to the program, it was comforting to hear the support from my faculty supervisor and peers from the other side of the world who have already completed the first module. It was stressed to us that "to learn something new, you have to realize that you don't know something, and you have to grasp that." On that note, it is essential to know how to access the tools and resources that will help you do the learning (starting with UniHub). 

Marianella generously shared with us her experience and advice as we enter Module 1: Go deep into what you already know and really like, what you want to research more about. There's too much information out there that it can be overwhelming, and to focus in on what intrigues you.

Other important takeaways include the importance of keeping blog posts up-to-date and using the comment function to interact with the learning community. This, and the group Skype sessions, are not required, but are helpful to bounce off ideas and hear other perspectives. Those with more engagement get the most out of this program. I have been a firm believer in the saying, "what you put in it is what you get out of it," regarding any kind of learning or experience. This is no exception.

I look forward to continuing conversations with you all (and my self, through this blog) on this next chapter of learning in my dance teaching career.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Simon, I look forward to reading your blog posts. It is always interesting to hear all those studying professional practice, particularly from areas that are different from our own discipline. Best of luck with your MA.

    http://jessleavins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in module 3 now, I totally concur with what you said and with Nella's advice too. Something we also mentioned with Helen's group and that I feel is very important too, especially when starting the course, is to plan your time management well... what with reading the literature, the writing, the editing etc. Another useful piece of advice I got from Helen in my feedback for the 2nd module is to also slot in an extra few days into your plan for anything unexpected that might not allow you to hit your own little targets along the way. In that way you will have some extra time to catch up. Since you are managing your own time, try to be disciplined with sticking to your plan as it can be very easy to get carried away with one area which will take time away from some other area that will need as much attention. Good luck with your 1st module.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is helpful advice about time management!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with all that's been said so far. I would add. Be kind to yourself. Don't worry if you need to take a break in the middle of your study day or time. I found that sometimes when I went and made a cup of tea, that was the time when I had a lightbulb moment! I suppose I was reflecting on what I had researched or written whist the kettle was boiling! Also have confidence in yourself and your abilities. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fully agree Simon. The induction was a great moment to truly take in and understand how to make MAPP an integral part of one’s experience on a daily basis. As a working Mother, the time management tip was a potent reminder that if I want a different result in my Dance practice, I also need to have a different approach and develop different skills, in theory as well as in practice. MAPP seems to take all of that in consideration with the amount of support tools available. Off to pick up my daughter now (!) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great blogpost Simon! I look forward to following your learning journey.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Simon
    It's nice to meet another newbie and I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with you. I'm excited about getting started and glad there is so much experience everyone is willing to share with us to to help us through the course.
    I had the luxury of going to Campus this week to explore the library, I borrowed 11 books - Off to indulge in a spot of reading.
    So Good night (in California) and Good Morning to all those in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Simon! Lovely to have met you! Have the best Module One, enjoy it! This goes by fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this induction blog post Simon and the best of luck in your studies. As Marianella said above it defiantly goes by super fast so enjoy. My blog will also be updated soon. check it out

    Tara Warburton- Module three

    ReplyDelete